Chicken Braised with Tomatoes, Olives, Oyster Mushrooms and Rosemary
This dish is based on a classic Italian Chicken Cacciatore, made all the more special by the combination of chicken, tomatoes, olives and mushrooms – all grown in the region.
4 large chicken marylands, cut in half through the joint
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
4 sticks celery, diced
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 tbs olive oil
50 gm tomato paste
1 kg ripe tomatoes
100 gm black olives
150 gm oyster mushrooms
2 tbs rosemary sprigs
Salt and pepper
- Sauté the onion, garlic, celery and fennel seeds in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, then add the diced tomatoes, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry the chicken pieces until coloured all over and transfer to a casserole dish.
- Pour over the tomato sauce, add the olives, cover and cook in the oven at 150°C for 1.5 hours.
- Sauté the mushrooms in a hot pan and scatter over the chicken with the rosemary sprigs.
- Serve straight to the table in the casserole dish.