Duck and Mandarin Salad
Duck and Mandarin Salad with Honey and Chilli Dressing
Serves 4 as Entree
Cooking a duck breast to perfection is a skill that only comes from experience and developing a good understanding of exactly how it should feel when you give the finished product a squeeze.
Good heat control is important so the skin is extra crispy and enough of the fat has rendered out of it before you turn it over to finish it on the other side.
Once you do perfect it, don’t over complicate what you serve it with, just let it be the star of the show.
• 2 duck breasts
•2 mandarins, peeled and sliced into circles
• 1/2 cup coriander leaves
• 1/2 cup mint leaves
• 1 golden shallot, finely sliced
• 1 long red chilli, julienned
• 1 stick celery, finely sliced
• 2 tbs honey
• 1 tbs rice vinegar
• 1 tbs soy sauce
• 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
• Dry and season the duck breasts and fry skin side down in a heavy based frypan over a medium heat until the fat has rendered out and the skin becomes crisp and golden.
• Turn the breasts and fry for another 3 – 4 minutes. Allow to cool down in the pan and rest for 5 minutes.
• Whisk together the honey, vinegar, soy sauce and chilli.
• Finely slice the duck breasts and mix with the mandarin, herbs, shallot, chilli, celery and half of the dressing.
• Divide evenly between four plates and drizzle with the remaining dressing.