Winter in Paradise at Paradise Rum
As the colder weather draws in, there’s nothing better than cupping your hands around a steaming mug of tea to banish any wintery blues. But for the days when tea just won’t cut it Courtney Alderson has rounded up the best winter warmer drinks from Paradise Rum Distillery to really heat up the heart’s cockles.
There are few drinks that suit the cooler months quite as perfectly as those deep golden spirits and liqueurs – the perfect heart warmers. Dark spirits are fantastic served neat or over ice, but there’s no need to stop there! A little imagination can turn these drinks into a taste sensation.
We’re talking cocktails, from the classic old fashioned and hot toddy, to more modern jazzed-up versions, such as the Blue Hawaii or a Belladonna.
“Cocktails are a sophisticated way to kick off any celebration. Whether it be a long lunch or dinner party, a cocktail can help to lift any get-together into an event to remember,” said General Manager, Sam Kennett.
Tropical flavours mingle with wintry spices in this ode to an Australian winter. Bright ruby red grapefruit citrus is underpinned by notes of cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla, honey, maple, and a touch of clove. Have I got your attention?!
As Venue Manager Simon Jones of Paradise Rum Distillery suggests, leave the classic gin and vodka in the liquor cabinet and reach for those golden amber spirits, like Paradise Rum’s warming Spiced Rum.
“It makes for wonderful cool weather sipping, served neat or in a cocktail,” said Simon.
AGED RUM OLD FASHIONED
“If you’re looking for a real party starter that is full of flavour, then have a crack at an Aged Rum Old Fashioned. Substitute bourbon whiskey for our aged rum, and voilà – you get this simple twist on the iconic Old Fashioned cocktail. Just like the original, it’s quick, easy and requires just a few ingredients, while being perfectly balanced and oozing class when well executed,” Simon said.
- 60ml Paradise Aged Rum
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Dash Angostura Bitters
- Orange rind (about 2 inches long, 1/2 an inch wide)
- Add rum, sugar and bitters to an ice filled mixing glass.
- Stir gently until mixed well and sugar dissolves.
- Strain into an ice filled tumbler glass (a single large cube is best – see picture).
- Take a lighter and ignite, holding just over the drink.
- Pinch the rind and squeeze it over the flame. This will ignite the oils that squirt out into the drink.
- Rub the rind around the rim of the glass, twist the rind and place in glass.
SPICED RUM SOUR
“This spiced rum sour cocktail builds on the classic combination of rum and lemon to create a libation that is deliciously, delightfully different.
“Expect tart flavours, mellow sweetness and the luscious taste of our spiced rum to shine in this easy-to-make sours cocktail,” said Simon.
- 60ml Paradise Spiced Rum
- 60ml Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Egg white
- Angostura bitters
- Dried lemon wheel to garnish
- Add all ingredients into a cocktail shaker and vigorously ‘dry’ shake (this means NO ICE) for 30 seconds. This emulsifies the egg white to create a beautiful creamy cocktail.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into an ice filled tumbler glass.
- Add a good dash or two of bitters at the end.
- Garnish with a dried lemon wheel.
THE HOT TODDY
For a late-night cocktail or nightcap, one beats them all – the hot toddy. While traditionally made with whisky, Simon swaps it out for aged rum for a gently warming and soothing drink to end the night. We’ll drink to that!
- Add 60ml water to a pan, along with three cloves, one cinnamon stick, a grating of nutmeg and one strip of lemon peel. Simmer over low heat.
- Pour 60ml of Paradise Rum’s Aged Rum into a warmed glass, then top up with hot water and spices.
- Stir in 2 tsp each of honey and lemon juice, top with nutmeg.
As part of The Curated (side) Plate, Paradise Rum will be offering the chance to get hands-on and immersed in the magic of Paradise Rum!
Join Simon Jones for a hands-on introduction into the world of muddling, shaking and stirring. Test, try and serve your favourite cocktails. Friday 5 August, 2-3pm OR Sunday 7 August, 11-12pm. $40 per person.
Join Paradise Rum owner and master distiller Chris Clyne for a personalised tour of Paradise Rum Distillery and recieve a signature tasting paddle and Paradise Rum hat or t-shirt.
Saturday 23 July; 30 July orSunday 7 August, 11am-noon, $55 per person.
Bookings essential via